Saturday, July 18, 2009

Dad's Birthday and Another Q1 July 18, 2009

Dad, it's 10 minutes to 9 pm, and I JUST NOW REALIZED that it's your birthday and I didn't call. I'm so sorry. I've been in swim meet mode, which I realize is no excuse, but I hope you will forgive me! My dad is 78 this year.

But what a wonderful birthday present -- to watch Lexy swim the 200 Free and get another Q1 time. Wouldn't that be wonderful? It would -- if I hadn't left my video cam in the car. . .But let me explain. If I HAD the video camera, by Murphy's law, she wouldn't have gotten the time. And, even if she still DID get the time? There's no way you would have been able to see the finish because I was positively shaking.

We are at EMU again for the Club Wolverine invitational, which is actually a great pool when it's not blazingly hot outside. Lexy's first event today, as I mentioned, was the 200 Freestyle, and her best time was a 3:01.42. She needed a 3:00.19 to qualify for the state meet which is located back here in two weeks. She is already qualified for two events, but needed only to better her time by a second and a half to get the 200 Free time. And today, in a very tense swim (for me, not her) she pulled out a better-than-expected 2:57.27!!

I could hardly believe it, and when I ran down the bleachers to congratulate her, apparently some of our team families were quite worried that I was going to do a face plant. It's a pretty steep set of bleachers. I was pretty worried about that too! But I arrived at the bottom and gave her a great big smile for her accomplishment before she got out of the pool. I tried hard to hold back the tears but a few of them sneaked out.

Afterward, I got back to my seat and just sat and fanned myself with the program. Too much excitement.

A lot of the kids from CUDA got state cuts today, so we are looking forward to tomorrow and hoping that Lexy will get one more in the 50 Freestyle. Even if she doesn't, we are mighty proud.

No comments: