Saturday, July 11, 2009

BAYS Beat the Heat, July 10-12, 2009

July is here, the sun is hot -- Lexy's swimming is not! Well, that's not entirely true (or fair), but she has been on fire the past couple of weeks -- this weekend seems to be the great leveler.

My suspicions about perhaps why she was really off this morning were confirmed. . .a delicate matter not to be discussed in a family-oriented blog. In short, a cuppa joe woulda fixed the issue.

Friday evening, Lexy was on deck to swim a 400 I.M. -- two 50M lengths of every stroke. A bit daunting for a kid who hasn't really made a habit of swimming IMs during the long course season! It was an honest mistake on my part -- I wrote down IM when I really meant freestyle. In the end, that's exactly what she swam -- the 400 free -- in a very respectable 6:31.49. The coaches were kind enough to help her find a spot in one of the 12&Under heats. That's an A time, by the way, just 11 seconds shy of the Q1. Really outstanding for her first try at this event! We all went out for sushi afterwards.

Saturday morning was a whole different story. We woke up to a thunderstorm, but it cleared up by the time we got to the pool. Once the sun came out, though, it heated right up and the humidity soared. I feel badly for the folks who have to sit out in the blazing sun this afternoon. The die hards will be using their umbrellas for relief from the sun, not the rain.

Lexy swam the 200 Free, the 100 Back, the 50 Free and the 50 Fly today. She had no personal bests, but you have days like that! Lots of her teammates had fast times and slow times, so I'm chalking it up to the changes that can happen during an outdoor meet -- too hot in the sun, too cold in the shade, etc.

On the video side, I'm not too excited about the quality today. To get the starts I had to shoot into the sun, and I could never tell exactly where I should be looking. So they were shaky at best. I'll spare you, and we'll leave videos until next weekend.

Tomorrow, Sunday, Lexy has four more events, so we'll be hoping for the best.

No comments: