Saturday, July 31, 2010

Long Course State Championships, Day Three

In an effort to get "up and at 'em", we went in search of Lake Michigan this morning. How can a lake that big be so hard to find? I just got so turned around in downtown Holland (I know, that was my first mistake), that I got really frustrated. It was raining anyway, so we gave up, parked, and window-shopped.

Today's events were a far cry better than the past two days. Lexy swam just two. First was the backstroke leg of the Medley Relay. Backstroke hasn't been her strong stroke this year, but today she did an awesome job! Backstroke is the first one out of the chute in this relay, followed by breaststroke, fly, and free. She's been languishing at 46.89 for a 50 Meter backstroke for about a month -- but today, she dropped three seconds, finishing at 43.87! This is even within the state qualifying time for this event. Something must have clicked there, though I don't know where or when.

When it came to the 100 breaststroke event, I felt she would do well. She ended up dropping .41 to finish at 1:46.47.

In the afternoon, the sun had come out, so we got ourselves a REAL map, and headed over to Holland State Park. We gathered up our umbrella, towels, and I grabbed a book, and we sat on an actual beach for a couple of hours. Lexy played in the surf and dug in the sand just like I did when I was a kid, but she didn't get to lick her arm and taste salt. Definitely missing the salt.

Just one day left for states, and there will be four events tomorrow. A busy day -- see you then!

No comments: