Sunday, February 1, 2009

Club Wolverine Waterfest, Feb 1, 2009 (part deux)

Goodbye January; hello February. Here is my top ten list of why I was elated to flip the calendar today:

10. We don't have to listen to people whine about the Lions for six months.
9. It's three days shorter than last month.
8. It's was about 20 degrees warmer today than yesterday.
7. TBS will play Groundhog Day tomorrow.
6. TBS will play Groundhog Day tomorrow.
5. TBS will play . . . (just kidding).
4. Drag racing season starts next weekend (that was for Ed).
3. It would be nice not to hear the words "Did you see Dow on the news last night?"
2. I have a nice dinner planned for Valentine's Day.

. . . and the number one reason why February is better than January is:

1. Lexy got three best times at her swim meet today, and four this weekend!

Before I get into the details of the meet, I have to say, I learned a good lesson this weekend. The answer to the following question should ALWAYS be NO! "Shall we confirm you in a non-smoking room with two double beds?"

If you haven't stayed in a hotel lately, let me help: a "double" bed in hotel terms is just a wee bit wider than a twin bed. Therefore, trying to squeeze even two reasonably sized people into one would prove challenging. Since I decided to give Sydney a respite from Lexy's tendency to overtake the bed, I spent both nights clutching my side of the mattress, hoping not to fall off. I was playing the role of bed barnacle, for lack of a better term.

As I mentioned in number one of my top ten list, Lexy had a terrific day today. She swam three individual events: the 50 backstroke, the 50 butterfly, the 100 freestyle, and one relay. For the 50 back, she finished .3 seconds faster. from 46.47 to 46.16.

Watch 50 Backstroke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voEv2s-nzdo

This whole year the 50 fly has not been one of Lexy's better strokes, but today she knocked off almost two seconds, from 46.37 to 44.69.

Watch 50 Fly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63XBwLvaxqE

But the coup de grace was the 100 Freestyle. Lexy has been sitting at 1:21.02 since she set the time several months ago. It was enormously gratifying to see her finish today at 1:18.10.

Watch 100 Free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgHJwmetCr8

And, let me apologize in advance to all you Spartan alums for saying the following: I actually enjoyed myself in Ann Arbor this weekend (wince). Yes, it pains me to say it, but I had a nice lunch at Amer's deli on State Street, and fun shopping at Orchid Lane (a.k.a. The hippie store). It was truly a delightful day -- warm and sunny for February first. There were lots of folks with spring fever; and tomorrow there will be lots of folks with winter colds!

No comments: