Monday, January 21, 2008

SCRATCH - Jan 19-20, 2008 BBA Superbowl Splash Meet, Royal Oak, Mich.

The thing about winter is, that's when kids get sick. But, as parents, we tend to be skeptical. We like to believe they are invincible and not as sick as they appear. I took Lex to the doctor on Friday morning when it appeared that she might have a sinus infection. As it turned out, she had an inflamed ear drum and, he also discovered, after listening to Lex's chest, that she was wheezing. Zithromax to the rescue! The Nuclear Bomb of antibiotics.

Ever the optimist, and Z-Max in hand, off we went to Detroit. At about midnight, I realized what a horrible decision it was to assume that modern medical science could zip in and clear up Lexy's infection fast enough to make her swim meet-ready by 7 am Saturday. She woke up wheezing and coughing. Her head was on fire. We had some of those medicated lollipops, so she took one of those and we eventually all got back to sleep (no thanks to the person in the next room who needed the TV set on hearing-deficient).

When I woke up at 5:30, I realized that, without question, we absolutely had to go home. I called the coach to let her know we would scratch. Everyone rallied, and off we went in search of something to eat. No sooner did we turn into the parking lot for the restaurant, when Lex announced, "I don't feel so good." Mustering my best sympathy, I said, "I know honey. Can you tell me what hurts?" She said, "I think I'm going to throw up." And, God bless her, that's EXACTLY what she did! How fortunate we were to have a suitcase full of extra clothes in the back. We got her cleaned up, and ordered her a big pancake. That did the trick.

What did I learn from this? Listen to your heart (and your child). They can't swim when they can't breathe!!

No comments: